Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Vegan Mayo Recipe - finally!!

Potato Salad with corn, spring onions, seitan and vegan mayonnaise (recipe below)

Well the day has finally arrived where I put down my mayo recipe.
It is not as thick as regular mayo - but the taste is pretty good (having said that - I haven't eaten real mayo for a VERY long time so I think it tastes like what I imagine it would taste like and Nat loves it so it works for us.

The reason I have had to come up with a mayo recipe is that all the ones I have seen use so much oil - and I am sure that it would make a better texture - but with the amount of mayo that we eat - it would not be healthy at all.

We mainly use this on sandwiches and potato salad.

Anyway - here is the recipe. I kind of based it on Vegan Dad's recipe but used silken tofu instead of soymilk and oil.

Low-fat vegan mayo recipe
1 300g silken tofu
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar (I use raw sugar)*
1/2 tsp mustard powder*
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp vinegar (I use white wine vinegar)

Combine all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and process for 1-2mins. Adjust seasonings to taste (I sometimes add a little more salt and sugar and lemon juice. Chill before serving. I have stored this in the fridge for up to a week. Sometimes water forms on the top - just stir it back in before using it.

*I have used dijon mustard as well but I reduced the sugar a little bit when I did that.

If you are not afraid of adding oil to your mayo, you might want to also check out Vegan Dad's Recipe.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great alternative to the oil-laden types! Must try this out.

Tara said...

This is awesome! Thank you so much for an oil-free mayo recipe!!

jessy said...

wow, Georgia! thanks for sharing! your mayo looks AWESOME - and sounds sooooooooo delicious! i'm gonna have to give it a try! i don't like that most mayo is just full of oil. ick! thanks again!

allularpunk said...

awesome recipe! we generally buy vegan mayo since michael's the only one who eats it (i only cook with it on occasion...i've never been a mayo gal). however, this sounds like it would be divine on potato or pasta salad! yummm... also, i missed your last post, but happy 6 month anniversary to you guys! and i'm glad you've discovered that making vegan pizza totally rules and is easy. i haven't made on in awhile, but over the summer i made one at least once a week! probably if you search 'pizza' on my blog you can see all the different flavor combos we've done...i can't seem to think of any fun ones right now haha!

Reni said...

I was just thinking about searching for a mayo recipe last night. This fits the bill and is light. :)

Perfect! Thanks for sharing!

1800blogger said...

Could you please contact ken@1800blogger.com

Jen Treehugger said...

I've just bought some Plamil Mayo back with me from the UK. Not tried it yet but it always gets great reviews. Thanks for posting your recipe - it's good to know I'll have a back up plan when this jar as all gone.
:)

Jen Treehugger said...

GAH!
You're Paying it Forward btw

http://heathenandvegan.blogspot.com/2009/01/pay-it-forward-and-cornish-pasties.html

:)

Laura said...

This sounds great, I like vegan mayo but I'm always put off greatly by the ammount of oil in all the store bought ones, I'll definately be tryinf this recipe out thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! Buying the brand at the store would have been so expensive! :)

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Sylvia said...

Wow! This is fantastic. I am so hungry right now (as I plan my menu for Thanksgiving..) I'm pretty sure this made the cut! Thanks!
Sylvia
Padrons

Anonymous said...

I wonder if adding a bit of pectin or a tiny bit of xanthan gum would make thicker.......I mean for those who might like it thicker.......

Anonymous said...

omg that sounds sooo good
check this website out for other dips, i especially love the spicy bean dip! and mix it with a bit of your vegan mayo and omg yuuummm http://www.fourgreensteps.com/community/recipes/appetizers

Kirsty Girl said...

With the oil based mayo's do you think it would work using olive oil instead of vegetable oil? I wouldn't mind a whole lot of oil if it was olive oil!