Tuesday, November 25, 2008

apple cabbage and spinach salad and Pumpkin oat cookies

Apple, red cabbage and spinach salad. Yuuummmmm.

Well today was a (relatively) busy day for me. I am on holidays but I had a few pre-employment things to sort out. I had to go and get a pre-employment medical done (all clear!!) and then I went to do some op-shopping for some work clothes. I found 4 really nice shirts and one skirt and it all came to under $15 (I think it was $14 exactly). I am trying to walk everywhere so as to help lower my carbon emissions and also reduce the amount of money that we pay for transport.

By the time I got home I was pretty hungry. I initially ate a piece of corn on the cob (it was raw and beautifully sweet). Then I decided to whip up a salad inspired by The Café Fresh Cookbook. It was so simple and easy. I just thinly sliced some red cabbage (local and organic) and some baby spinach leaves (local and organic). I then added a small handful of sultanas and 1/2 a diced jonagold apple (which was the only type of apple I had on hand - this apple is crisp and has a bit of a bite to it but is still quite sweet). I then made a dressing from the juice of 1/2 orange and 1 1/2 tsp of apple juice concentrate and poured this over the salad. It was just divine - I had to stop myself from having seconds.

Pumpkin Oat Cookies

Two days ago I made VWaV's Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies. I cooked and pureed my own pumpkin because you can't buy canned pumpkin here and I added the flaxseeds, used coconut oil instead of canola oil and used sultanas instead of raisins. I also used spelt flour which seemed to work fine.

I found it a little difficult knowing when these cookies were cooked - they do firm up a LOT when they come out of the oven. They tasted a lot like ANZAC biscuits. I took them to a staff meeting and everyone loved them (and thought that they were ANZACs). I will be making these again but I have notes in my VWaV that these are still REALLY soft when they come out of the oven.

5 comments:

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

those cookies look so good, but we don't have canned pumpkin over here either. I may be too lazy to make my own!

jessy said...

good to know on the cookies being a bit soft when they first come out. thanks for the heads up, Georgia! i might have to make some - as they sound (and look!) wonderful!

your salad looks amazing, too! and all those clothes for $14! wow! now that's one rock'n deal! yay for walking everywhere! :)

Tami said...

The colors on that salad are beautiful!

Joanna said...

those cookies look so good. i feel like i'm the only vegan who hasn't made some form of pumpkin cookies yet. i really need to get on that!

allularpunk said...

yummy salad! i love fruit in salads. peaches and strawberries are my favorites! they pair nicely with veggies for some reason. and those cookies look yummy. i've found that a lot of vegan cookies get super firm after they come out of the oven, so it's best to take 'em out when you don't think they're quite ready yet. that way you don't break a tooth when you eat one the next day!