
In between cooking for another dinner party last night and studying, I realised that I didn't have anything for Nat to put on his sandwiches. So I decided to make Kittee's seitan log - as it just looked good and Kittee told me that it was pretty much fool proof - she was right. It took a little bit of time but I found that I could caramalise the onion while also chopping the veggies and cooking the moroccan stew that we had for dinner last - so it all worked out well. My pressure cooker has a steamer basket and so I used that (without bringing it to pressure) to cook the seitan.
The texture is good - it is chewy, but not in a hard way - it is just right. It slices really easily and I find that I can slice it much thinner than I could with the Seitan O'Greatness. The flavours were really good, even though I didn't have the creole seasoning and couldn't be bothered making some up so I just threw in a tiny little bit of basil, some onion powder, garlic powder, lemon grass and freshly ground black pepper.
I give Kittee's seitan the BIG thumbs up!!!
I also whipped up an awesome mayonaise which works out at approximatly only 11 calories a tablespoon - which is pretty good!!! Next time I make it I will work out the exact quantities and then post the recipe - as I think I am on to a winner. Vegan mayo here is expensive and frankly I have yet to find one I like - so to be able to make one quite cheaply is awesome!
Yesterday was market day and it was my first day working on the most awesome stall for the company The All Organic Farm. It was great, I only worked for a couple of hours but the people were awesome and the vibe was really cool - I can't wait to go back next weekend.
What was even cooler was that one of the other girls on the stand had brought in her own homegrown kale. Kale is never for sale here and I have never even seen Kale seeds for sale. I have never tasted Kale and so I just had to buy a bunch of this awesome looking green. Now I don't really know what to do with it... any suggestions?? I was thinking something simple to start off with so that I get to taste the kale.

6 comments:
I am lookig forward to your vegan mayo recipe, I buy Plamil but it is expensive here
my favorite way to prepare kale is simply to steam the destemmed, roughly chopped leaves for about 2 - 3 minutes and serve it topped with some balsamic vinegar and garlic. YUMM!
Thanks for posting your experience with the Seitan recipe. I'll have to give this one a try since you & Nat liked it so much.
Can't wait for the mayo recipe!
I like to saute the kale or other greens with a bit of olive oil, add a little broth, and some garlic. Cook until bright green and done to your liking. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Enjoy.
the seitan looks too yummy! makes me wish my stomach would agree with me on seitan! mmmmmmmm!
very cool on working for the The All Organic Farm! it sounds super fun! and kale is the best! i love it sauteed - then i give it a dash (maybe 1/8 tsp) of sesame seed oil and a drizzle of soy sauce. it's also super good sauteed and the drizzled with a balsamic reduction, too. (or sauteed & put in sweet potato or potato mash!) kale has gotta be one of my favorite veggies of all time! mmmmmmmmmmmm!
that seitan log is super. Even my cat likes to steal pieces.
Post a Comment