Friday, October 17, 2008

Easy Asparagus and tofu yumminess


I love asparagus - but it is SO expensive here (you usually pay $3+ for about 7 stalks). But our little local shop had some for $1.49 a bunch. I couldn't help myself. I bought two bunches.

Trouble is - when I buy something that you love and you know you are not going to get it very often, I don't know what to make with it. I mean there are heaps of recipes - but should I stick with an old faithful or should I try something new - should I make sure that it is the centrepiece of the dish - or let it just sit in the background. Well tonight I was going to be home late for dinner (I was at a Tai Chi class) and so I thought a quick veggie stirfry would be in order. So in between coming home from university and going out to the class I quickly pressed some tofu and whipped up a marinade. I let the tofu sit in the marinade while at class (about 2 hours).

When I got back I realised that I didn't really have any stirfry veggies but I did have the asparagus. And so this dish was created. It was simple and so yummy and satisfying.

I probably broke every "how to make a proper stirfry" rule and you will all shun me from the bloggosphere - but I was tired, lazy and heck - it turned out really well and I will be making it again.

I didn't want to use any oil or waste any ingredients. So after marinating the tofu, I poured the marinade into the wok and let it boil down to a thicker consistency, then I added the asparagus and tofu.

Easy Tofu Asparagus Stir-fry

1 block extra firm tofu
2 bunches asparagus

3tbsp rice wine vinegar
1/4cup soy sauce
1 tsp sugar (I used grated palm sugar)
2 clove garlic - crushed
1/2 red onion - chopped
1 tbsp grated ginger
Water
1tsp arrowroot flour mixed with cold water (optional)
2tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce (or stirfry sauce of your choice)

Directions
  1. Press Tofu and cut into triangles (I press my tofu using a tea-towel not paper towel)
  2. Mix the vinegar, soysauce, sugar, garlic, onion, ginger together.
  3. When tofu is pressed, place in marinating dish and pour marinade over. Add extra water to just cover tofu. Leave for 1-2 hours.
  4. When tofu is ready, pour the marinade into the wok and let it boil down so that it is thicker.
  5. Add asparagus and tofu and stirfry until asparagus is done.
  6. Mix the arrowroot flour with a little bit of water and then pour it into the dish to make the sauce a little thicker. (optional)
  7. Add the stirfry sauce.
  8. Serve immediately over rice.

5 comments:

Jen Treehugger said...

YUM!
That looks and sounds well scrummy.
I like Asparagus just as it is with a drizzle of Olive Oil, Salt, Pepper and a squiz of Lemon Juice then baked for 10 mins.
And I hear you on the price - it is soooo expensive.

*sigh*

Tara said...

This looks yummy. I love how your recipes usually have very little or no oil but still turn out great. Asparagus is expensive here, or I would go out and make this right now!

Reni said...

I'm so amazed at the wonderful dishes you make every day. This looks yummy too and I love that it is low in fat.

Thanks for sharing!

allularpunk said...

this looks really cool! and i know what you mean about getting something you love and being indecisive about what to do with it. i'm the same way. in fact, i just got some asparagus the other day and have no CLUE what to do with it. i wanna do something fancy, but...i'm a little lazy this week, so it probably won't be.

jessy said...

i think your stirfry looks sooo delicious! that's crazy that asparagus is so expensive, but very cool that you found some for such a great price. i think we might have to put some asparagus in a stirfry soon too - you've inspired me! and have you ever made roasted asparagus?! it's divine! just roasted with a little olive oil & sea salt, then top with toasted pine nuts! mmmmmm!