Well tomorrow Nat and I are driving up to our parent's homes for a little under a week. It is our nephews naming ceremony tomorrow and as I am studying for exams nat asked if he could do a few tours to Cradle Mountain for his tour guiding company. So I am busy trying to clean out the fridge of veggies so we don't have too many nasty surprises when we get back.
The thing that I was worried about the most was the pumpkin, because I had been saving it to make some cookies to take tomorrow - but now have to find something gluten free to cook. Although it has been a little chilly lately, I still didn't feel like making pumpkin soup so I flipped through Veganomican and found the recipe for pumpkin saag. I didn't have any fresh spinach but I did have some frozen so I thought that this would be the dish of the night. I remember Jessy from happyveganface making some garlic naan a few days back and I thought that it would be a nice surprise for nat when he got home from work (he is a bread lover).
For the saag I pretty much followed the recipe - with a few additions. The dish was good - but not as flavourful as I would have liked.
I roasted and added some sweet potato with the pumpkin. I also used frozen rather than fresh spinach. I also added a little chili paste. The dish wasn't as moist as I would have liked - I think next time I will add a little vegetable stock and maybe some canned tomatoes or tomato paste. Also - if you want a spicey dish (and I think this would be good spicey) add more chili paste.
But I will definatly be making this again with those few more alterations.
What I am most excited about are these little beauties!!! Garlic Naan. I am not going to post the recipe because it is exactly like Jessy's which can be found here. It is WONDERFUL and easy though so I think you should try making it. From first bite nat commented on the wonderful garlic flavour and that it would rival indian naan (now he may have been stretching the truth a little there).
Friday, October 24, 2008
Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Saag with garlic naan
Labels:
Bread,
easy,
Indian,
Pumpkin,
spinach/silverbeet/kale,
Sweet Potato,
VCON
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Just look at the colors on that saag! Gorgeous. I love saag and have never tried it with pumpkin--must look up the recipe. And I bet that naan was great!
this all looks gorgeous and yummy... i want naan! i've never made it myself. since i've been on a curry ban (michael's sick of it) i have no chance. soon, though, soon.
Wow, what awesome dishes. What an inspiration you are with all the creative cooking you do. And I'm impressed how much you cook homemade every day.
You rock! :) (P.S. I've been looking for a good Naan that didn't call for loads of oil --thanks!)
your naan looks absolutely PERFECT, Georgia! hooooooray! :D i'm glad you both enjoyed it! and the pumpkin saag looks super awesome! mmmmmmmm! it's so pretty - i love the colors!
i hope you two have fun visiting all the parents! yay!
Post a Comment