
So I should be studying for my last ever exams for my undergrad degree... (I have three more exams over the next two weeks) - but I have been procrastinating - well getting the house into shape and baking stuff for Nat to take to work (he has 4x12hr days in a row!!!). Although I have found a few really good bars for Nat to take to work - for Mofo I have been trying a lot of new recipes - and here is another.
I have been eyeing off the Date-nut diamond from VWaV for a while now. I thought that if I didn't make them now I would probably not make them for a long time (if ever). As usual I changed the recipe a little bit so here are my modifications:
I used white spelt flour instead of the all purpose flour
I used about a cup of dried dates
I reduced the sugar to 1/2 a cup and used raw sugar (rather than brown sugar)
I used about a 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
I used arrowroot flour instead of tapioca starch.
I also baked the diamonds in a 20cm square Pyrex dish which is smaller than what the recipe called for. This worked out really well as I almost had trouble making the top layer spread this far - It wouldn't have covered a bigger dish.
The bars burnt a little on the edges but hold together nicely and are really different to the other bars that I have made. Nat really likes them so I will make them again. As they are higher in fat than his other work bars I will probably make these a little less than he would like ;)

1 comment:
they look pretty yummy... i've not had many dates in my life. the fruit, not..well you know. and i totally understand not baking as many high fat treats as your man would like. if i baked as many cookies as michael asks me for in a given week, i'd be huge! and he'd be just as skinny as always, haha.. :)
Post a Comment