Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Tried and True Mexican Chili Beans


Home again. Nat and I drove down a day earlier than expected so that he could catch up with a friend today. Once we arrived home and I had unpacked and put away everything from our trip it was quite late in the day. My parents own a organic wholesaler business and so I always home home with all the staples that I am running low on. This time I returned with Agave, red lentils, brown rice, dried red kidney beans and chickpeas, quinoa, dried dates, nutritional yeast, spelt spaghetti, kamut tubes, flax seeds, raw sugar, a box of soymilk, some chocolate samples that they had been sent (yummy) and probably lots of other things that I can't remember.

So - I was too tired to go to the shops to stock up on vegetables. On the way home we briefly called into a grocer and I picked up some celery and capsicum as being at home had reminded me of another of those recipes I grew up on: mum's mexican chili beans.

Mum and Dad decided to become vegan when my brother and I were very little. This was before the internet, and so mum's recipes were based on her cookbooks. For a little rural community in Tasmania, for mum to be cooking the weird and wonderful stuff she did was just awesome considering all of my friends parents cooked meat and three veg every night for dinner.

So - I consider myself very lucky - its funny now though - "mum's recipes' as my brother and I call them were so weird when we were growing up - we loved them. But now times are a changing and they are not so different to all the other recipes that you can find on the web. Each of those recipes still holds a special place in my heart (and tastebuds).

This recipe is DEAD simple. It takes no time and mostly uses staple kitchen ingredients (in my kitchen anyway).

Note to all parents reading this blog: I grew up on these recipes so they are pretty kid friendly (if the kid likes vegetables) - ie. they are not overly spicy.

This recipe one based on a recipe from a book that one of mum's friends made called Tried and True. I highly doubt you will be able to get a copy (as I can't even get one and I rely on photocopies of scribbled on cooking stained recipes) I feel that I should be able to share it.

Nat had these wrapped up in tortillas. I served mine over rice. I whipped up some vegan sour cream using this recipe I found on Tara's blog. My cream didn't come out as firm as I would have liked - my silken tofu may not have been the right type - I am not too sure. It was still really tasty!


Mexican Chilli Beans

2 cloves of garlic
1 onion - diced
1/2 green capsicum - diced
1 stalk celery - chopped
2 cups (or 1 can) kidney beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP)
1 tsp chilli paste (optional)
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 veggie bouillon cube (optional)

Brown garlic, onions, celery and capsicum in oil or saute in water. Add other ingredients, including a little liquid if necessary. Simmer until vegetables are cooked.

5 comments:

sophia said...

wow! lucky you! it's so awesome that your parents had the creativity and ambition to go vegan back when it was so rare - and, i imagine, a whole lot more difficult.

even though i am really proud of my own journey to veganism, i totally envy you for growing up vegan! how awesome is that.

oh, and having your parents run an organic wholesale business? amazing! i am so jealous!

jessy said...

that's great you all were vegan as a family! wow! :)

thanks for the recipe - it sounds sooo tasty, and i love that it's simply to make - and you're right - we've pretty much got everything for it on hand! yay!

did you say you got some chocolate samples?! mmmmmmmmmm!

allularpunk said...

i didn't know you grew up vegan! that's so cool. and those beans look oh. so. good.

i want mexican beans for dinner.

Georgia said...

I was very lucky to have awesome parents who imparted their love for the earth and animals in me.

They named me Georgia because loosely translated it means "lover of the earth" - however most meanings don't go much beyond "farmer girl". I love that they named me how they wanted me to be when I developed my own thoughts/opinions etc.

and the fact that they have their own business with organic vegan products isn't too bad either ;)

Reni said...

Such awesome parents. :) Thanks for the Bean recipe, it looks very yummy and something my daughter would eat.