Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Vegan MoFo #7 - Call them what you like... black eyed peas rock

I bought some dried black eyed peas (or black eyed beans or cow peas) from the health food shop the other day with a stew in mind. Anyway - I started soaking them last night and then asked my husband what he would like for dinner only to hear him say soup... well the only black-eyed pea soup recipe I could find was more of a broth than a nice chunky soup... so I decided to create my own soup. Now when I start getting creative - the results are usually so so. But this soup was amazing. It was warming, spicy and just the perfect texture for sitting listening to the windy night outside.

This recipe is definitely a keeper. I think I will be making it again rather soon.


Thick and Spicy Black Eyed Pea Soup

2 onions, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2-3 tsps chili paste (or 2-3 mild fresh chillies)
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 large potato diced
2 cups of black eyed peas cooked (or 1 can)
1 can tomatoes, diced (or equivalent fresh)
2 cups vegetable stock
1 tbsp fresh coriander, roughly chopped (optional)

  1. Saute the onion, garlic and chilli in oil or water until the onion is browned.
  2. Add tumeric, cumin and coriander and combine with the onion mix
  3. Add the beans, potato, tomatoes and stock and simmer 20-30 mins or until potato is soft.
  4. Blend with a hand blender- don't puree too much - leave it a little bit chunky - just make sure you get the bits of potato blended.
  5. Stir in coriander (if using) just before serving.

6 comments:

Tara said...

I like how easy this looks, and all of the ingredients (except the black eyed peas, ironically) are ones that I usually have on hand. Adding this to the list of recipes to try!

half pint pixie said...

Just added this to my must-make list too :) Looks really yummy!

Sheree' said...

Your are right! They do rock. I have used them to make faux sausage, soup, and croquetts. They are so versitile. Awesome soup!

allularpunk said...

thank you for the recipe! i have never cooked with black eyed peas, but i have recently been eyeing some recipes to try them out. this will go to the top of my list, as i need a soup recipe for tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

The soup looks so good. I love black-eyed peas.

miss v said...

i recently just thought about making a black-eyed pea and wild rice soup. bought the beans, but haven't gotten any further, so thanks for the inspiration!