Saturday, October 4, 2008

[VeganMoFo #4] Cooking up some kickarse VWaV cookies

Nat is a tour guide. Now that the guiding season has started Nat is sometimes away for days at a time. He has just got a job with a day tour company which is much cooler!! As his next trip is for backpackers they either have to take their meals or buy them. Because the guests will all buy yummy non-vegan sweets I thought that I would make nat something that he could eat and not feel deprived.



I recently got Vegan with a Vengeance and nat asked if I could bake the Big Giantoid Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies. Well I baked them - but I made them normal cookie size. This meant that I made HEAPS (I forgot to check how many cookies the recipe made)

I am very into coconut oil at the moment and so I substituted it for canola oil. I also didn't have any vanilla soymilk (so I added a little bit extra vanilla essence) and I used half unbleached and half wholemeal spelt flour instead of the all purpose flour (I don't actually know what all purpose flour is - I am guessing just plain flour??). I baked them for 10 mins at 175°C.

Nat loves these cookies and, as they taste FANTASTIC, I am happy too. My only difficulty is keeping them away from nat so that there are some left for him to take away on his trip!!


5 comments:

Tara said...

I love this recipe and yours look so yummy! Mr. Herakles is a big fan of these as well, but I had never thought to use coconut oil. I'll have to try it!

Karyn said...

Ooh - I bought coconut oil on a whim the other day, but I didn't think about using it in cookies. I am excited to try it now!

trina said...

I love the fingers poised over your heaping plate of cookies! Enticing photo.

Reni said...

These look so yummy! I'm saving up for Vegan with a Vengeance, and can't wait until I get it. These will certainly be one of the first recipes I try. :)

Bethany said...

I haven't made PB cookies in such a long time. yours look awesome.