Sunday, September 21, 2008

Banana and date slice - a homecoming treat

Nat was away for the weekend for work and so I have been busy cleaning, doing assignments and this afternoon I have been baking. I try to bake at least once a week so that we have something to nibble on and take to work and uni. There were a couple of bananas that were slightly overripe but I had already made banana bread in the last few weeks. I settled instead on making a banana and date slice. I have an amazing recipe for a fat free banana and date loaf - so I thought that the combination would work equally well as a slice. I veganised a recipe I found from the Australian Women's Weekly website. I also tried to reduce the fat content by substitution apple sauce for half the oil. I am relatively new to working with apple sauce - I am sure that the recipe would be fine without any oil at all (and more apple sauce) - but I just wanted to do half half to make sure.

Banana and Date Slice

  • ½ cup dried dates, chopped coarsely
  • ¼ cup water
  • ¼ cup oil
  • ¼ apple sauce
  • ¾ cup raw sugar
  • 1 cup wholemeal flour, sifted
  • ¼ cup (35g) plain flour, sifted
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2 medium bananas - mashed
  • ¼ tsp salt

METHOD

Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Grease 25cm x 30cm pan.

Combine dates and the water in small saucepan; bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened stirring constantly. Set aside to cool.

Place flour, baking powder and nutmeg in a bowl. Stir in bananas, date mixture and oil. Spread the batter evenly into the tin.

Bake in moderate oven about 30 minutes or until firm; stand 20 minutes.