Thursday, September 18, 2008

Two of our favourite veggies in one dish!!

My husband and I were rudely awoken this morning (at about 5am) to hear someone trying to get into our unit with a key. When my husband went to see what was going on they sheepishly realised that they had the wrong unit. I wasn't too impressed - I mean there are only 8 units are in our block. Anyway - from there it was a busy day for both of us. My partner worked from 9am to 6pm and I had uni until 1pm and then was home writing an assignment for the afternoon. For dinner because I know that nat is SO hungry after a full day of work (and riding his bike home up a long hill). Sweet potato is one of nat's favourite vegetables and I had a few eggplants to use up (Eggplant is one of my favourite vegetables) so I was incredibly excited when I found a recipe from Ashbury's Aubergines. I followed the recipe pretty well but did alter it a little. I have put my revisions below. I served this dish with an easy chickpea and silver beet side dish.



Sweet Potato Stuffed Eggplant

Stuffed Eggplant

2 medium eggplants
2 tablespoons soy sauce
oil
3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large capsicum, diced

Spicy Peanut Sauce

  • oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger root
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili paste, more to taste
  • 3/4 cup natural unsalted crunchy peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1-2 tablespoons agave syrup
  • 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 2 cups water
  • salt to taste

  1. Preheat oven to 175ºC. Spray a baking pan with oil.
  2. Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise, brush the cut sides with soy sauce, and lay them flesh side up in the pan. Add 1/2 cup of water to the pan and cover with foil. Bake until tender, about 30 minutes.
  3. Steam the sweet potatoes for about 10 minutes, until just tender.
  4. In a non-stick fry pan, sauté the onions and garlic for 5 minutes, until the onions are soft. Add the capsicum and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes to the skillet. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir, cover, and set the filling aside.
  5. Peanut Sauce: saute onions in a saucepan for 5 minutes. Add the ginger, chili paste and saute for another 2 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and stir thoroughly until the peanut butter has melted and mixed with the remaining ingredients.
  6. When the eggplants are done - remove them from the oven and scoop out the centre (leaving a little flesh attached to the skin), chop the removed flesh and add it to the sweet potato mixture.
  7. Place the sweet potato mixture in the eggplant shells and return the eggplants to the oven and cook for 15mins.
  8. Remove from the oven and top with the peanut sauce and serve.
Sauteed chickpeas and silver beet
  • 1 medium onion
  • 4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 400g chickpeas, (either from a can or home cooked)
  • 500g fresh silver beet, washed, stems removed and chopped. (or spinach)
  • salt and pepper to taste.
  1. Saute onion and garlic with either water or oil in a non-stick pan until onion is browned, about 5 mins
  2. Add chickpeas and silver beet. Cover and heat until silver beet is wilted.
  3. When silver beet is done, season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.

No comments: