Tuesday, September 16, 2008

What to do with left over silken tofu??

Well I had an assignment due yesterday and so I have spent today relaxing and looking at what in our fridge needs to be used up. I found some left over silken tofu from a package that I had to open a few nights ago. Since then I have been trying to use up the tofu including making a chocolate pudding for my hubby. I still had about a 1/2 cup left and so I looked through my cookbooks to get some inspiration. I found this recipe in a folder of recipies I have collected from magazines over the years and never cooked. I didn't have all the ingredients so what I have created is very different to the original (almost totally different - apart from the fact that both recipes had silken tofu, oats and sugar). These bars were a resounding success. They are chewy and a great protein filled energy bar. My husband came home from work and was immediatly after the source of the yummy smells wafting from our kitchen.


Easy chewy oatmeal bars

Prep time: 15mins

Ingredients

· 3/4 cup sultanas

· 1/3 cup walnut halves or pieces (optional)

· 1/4 cup white flour

· 1/4 cup wholemeal flour

· 1/2 tsp. bicarb soda

· 1/4 tsp. salt

· 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

· 1 cup rolled oats

· 1/2 cup silken tofu

· egg substitute for 1 egg (I use Organ No-egg)

· ¼ cup olive oil

· 1/3 cup brown sugar

· 1/3 cup maple syrup

· 1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 175°C. Spray a 20cm x 20cm glass baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. Soak sultanas in boiling water and set aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
  3. If using walnuts, spread in small baking pan and toast in oven until fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes.
  4. In a bowl, combine both flours, bicarb soda, salt, cinnamon and oats.
  5. Drain sultanas and chop walnuts (if using). Set aside.
  6. Blend tofu in a food processor until smooth. Add egg substitute, oil, sugar, maple syrup and vanilla. Process until mixture is smooth. Stop and scrape down the sides with rubber spatula in the middle.
  7. Add flour mixture, sultanas and walnuts to the food processor. Pulse on/off until all the ingredients mixed.
  8. Turn the mixture into the dish and spread into an even layer.
  9. Bake until light golden and firm to the touch, approx 30-35 minutes.
  10. When done, remove from oven and cool in the pan. Cut into bars.
  11. Bars can be kept in an airtight container for up to 5 days or in the freezer for many months.

No comments: