Monday, September 15, 2008

Beautiful Banana Bread

My husband loves the weekend. You may think that it is because he gets time off. Because of the nature of his job he isn't guaranteed the weekend off. No, my husband loves the weekend because I try to always bake him something sweet to get him through the week (or at least a few days). I have a couple of tried and true recipies that I will use, but this weekend I decided to try a new recipe I found in Lois Dieterly's book Sinfully Vegan. I modified the recipe to reduce the oil content and according to what I had in the cupboard - so I will post my version. I have not baked many recipes out of this book... don't ask me why, because every recipe I have baked has just been wonderful. This was no exception. An organic stall at the local market was giving away overripe banana's on Saturday and I took the opportunity to do some banana baking. (I have not made a banana sweet for a long time because banana's have been VERY expensive lately).


Lois's Moist Banana Bread

1 cup white spelt flour (Lois uses unbleached plain flour)
1 cup wholemeal spelt flour (see above note)
1 tsp bicarb (baking) soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup agave syrup - I like the Loving Earth Brand
3 medium ripe bananas - mashed
2 tsp ground flax seeds
1/2 cup water
30mls extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup applesauce (no added sugar)
3/4 cup walnuts - roughly chopped

1. Preheat the oven to 175degrees C.
2. Prepare a loaf tin by greasing it or lining it with baking paper
3. In a bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt
4. In a small cup, mix flax with water.
5. In another bowl mix banana with the agave syrup and then add the flax mixture and stir until mixed well.
6. Add the oil, applesauce and walnuts to the banana mixture.
7. Pour the banana mixture into the flour mixture and stir until combined.
8. Pour mixture into the loaf pan and bake for about 60 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven.
9. Leave bread in tin for 10 mins before removing and allowing to cool completely

15 servings
Preparation time: 15 mins
Baking time: approx 60 mins

No comments: