Nat and my dad have an "in joke" surrounding dinner and Baked Beans. They believe that all their Christmas's have come at once when they get Baked Beans for dinner. I can proudly say that the only time nat had baked beans for dinner what after driving home from a week with our parents up the north of the state and we arrived home at 6pm with nothing fresh in the fridge.
Anyway - I am not going to spend too much time posting about baked beans - I am not the most fond of them - so, aside from baked beans - I think that variations of the dish tha tI cooked tonight are Nat's favourite meal. I came up with the savoury lentil dish when I had a lot of root vegetables from the garden that dad and I planted at their house. Now I cook this dish in the pressure cooker - I just put it all in and let it work its magic. It is also easy to cook it without a pressure cooker - it would just take a bit longer though. These lentils make the perfect base for a vegan shepherds pie - although I was being lazy tonight so I just whipped up some mashed potato/sweet potato as a side dish.
The dish is so versatile - you can put any veggies you want in with the lentils (capsicum, mushrooms, silverbeet, spinach, parsnip, potato, pumpkin - anything goes really - what I put in tonight was just a result of what I had in my fridge).

Savoury Lentils - serves 4-6
2 carrots, diced
1 large onion, diced
1 medium turnip, diced
1 medium Swede, diced
1 stalk celery, sliced
1 broccoli stem, peeled and sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4cup cabbage, shredded finely
1 1/2 - 2 cups brown lentils, soaked
1 vegetable stock cube
enough water or stock to cover
3tbsp tomato paste
1tsp dried basil
1tsp dried oregano
3tbsp gravox powder (I use the mushroom flavour)
Salt and pepper to taste
To make creamy mashed potatos I usually use a mixture of potato and sweet potato (ratio of 2:1) and steam them until they are soft. Then I mix in some fatfree soy milk, nutritional yeast and salt and pepper and mash until soft and creamy.
2 carrots, diced
1 large onion, diced
1 medium turnip, diced
1 medium Swede, diced
1 stalk celery, sliced
1 broccoli stem, peeled and sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4cup cabbage, shredded finely
1 1/2 - 2 cups brown lentils, soaked
1 vegetable stock cube
enough water or stock to cover
3tbsp tomato paste
1tsp dried basil
1tsp dried oregano
3tbsp gravox powder (I use the mushroom flavour)
Salt and pepper to taste
- In the pressure cooker, saute onion and garlic until soft, add all the vegetables and lentils and just cover with water or stock. (if not using a pressure cooker add the lentils and the firmer vegetables then continue to add the quicker cooking vegetables. Simmer until lentils and vegetables are tender. Cook for about 30+mins)
- Bring to pressure and cook 10-15 mins. Turn off the stove and let the pressure come down naturally (this can take about 10+ mins).
- Open the lid and add remaining ingredients. Cover and cook for a further 5 mins until peas are cooked through (but still a nice colour green).
- Serve with rice, pasta, mashed potato or toast. This dish can be used as the base for a shepherd's pie.

To make creamy mashed potatos I usually use a mixture of potato and sweet potato (ratio of 2:1) and steam them until they are soft. Then I mix in some fatfree soy milk, nutritional yeast and salt and pepper and mash until soft and creamy.

No comments:
Post a Comment